In response to the recent social media attacks made by local area residents on our MFA Faculty Director Patrisse Cullors, Prescott College is taking the following five initial action steps and planning process to prioritize community safety:
1. Invite Prescott College students, faculty, staff, and alumni to a virtual Town Hall on Racism and Community Safety (time, date and registration details will be sent soon via email),
2. Review and revise hate-speech response policies for social media (internal and external),
3. Convene "Community Safety" team to work with most-impacted community members (POC, LGBTQ) to identify and implement harm-response and proactive, community-based harm prevention policies and practices,
4. Continue to develop anti-racist curriculum and pedagogy — Xicanx Institute for Teaching and Organizing (XITO) training for instructors already scheduled for this summer with timeline and benchmarks to measure change, and
5. Improve hiring policies and practices to bring employee demographics into better alignment with student demographics.